In this Partnering Leadership conversation, Mahan Tavakoli speaks with Jonah Berger, Wharton School professor and internationally bestselling author of Magic Words, Contagious, Invisible Influence, and The Catalyst. In the conversation, Jonah Berger talked about the role of influence in our lives and leadership. He explained why influence is a tool and how to use it for positive impact. Jonah Berger then addressed the role of language in influencing others, and the six types of research supported magic words for influence. Next, Jonah Beger shared the role of confidence in influence and how to use it appropriately, depending on the situation. Finally, Jonah Berger talked about the power of storytelling, the language of similarity and difference, and how to use personal hedges to show openness to other perspectives.
- Why influence is neither positive nor negative
- How words influence behavior
- The research behind the power of 'because'
- How leaders can use influence for good
- The six types of magic words to influence
- How our environment impacts our behaviors
- How the language used in emails can predict whether you are likely going to get promoted or get fired
- The role that words can play in identity and agency
- The importance of certainty to influence and how to do it right
- How leaders can use influence to move their organization in a good direction.
- The one type of question that makes you seem more intelligent and competent.
- The Power of words in influencing others
- Leaders should be aware of the power of words and their use in influencing others
- The importance of follow-up questions and how to do them well
- What do the best storytellers do differently than the others
- How to lead for positive influence
Connect with Jonah Berger:
Partnering Leadership conversation with Warren Berger on the Power of Questions and Questioning
Connect with Mahan Tavakoli: